Today I am thankful for:
1. Books. I do not know what I would do without books. I love learning and processing what I learn with others. One way my husband and I were made for each other … our shared love for books. This is my current night table reading:
2. Tomato Soup. Since I was a little girl, grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup have been a favorite. I enjoy making homemade for my kids because I can avoid the corn syrup in most of the canned tomato soup. I also feel like I can sneak several colors of veggies in under their radar. Bonus!
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 16 oz can chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted whole tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried basil (or a handful of fresh…. mmmm)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I like about 1/2 tsp or so salt)
- Heat olive oil in saucepan, over medium-low heat.
- Saute onion with a little salt and pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic for a minute, and then add celery and carrots.
- Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. A
- Add bay leaves, chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes with juice, basil, salt, and pepper. If using fresh basil… wait to add until the last 5 mintues and remove bay leaves (so the two don’t get confused).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Puree with hand held immersion blender until smooth.
3. Outdoor yoga. Yoga has taught me to be gentle and kind with myself … more accepting of my limitations. We got to practice outside today in the cool breeze of the morning. Beautiful. Slow down. Calming. Quiet.
What are you thankful for today?
1 thought on “Books, Tomato Soup, and Yoga”
Dinner with friends we never get to see anymore, hand-me-down clothes from a clothes-horse friend, texting long-distance.